Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Westward Ho!







Don Imus would cring at my title for today's entry. But that's his problem. I'm safely in San Marcos, TX, and have already enjoyed a couple of margaritas before exploring Austin, which is only a few miles to the north.
The flight over from New Orleans was lengthened somewhat by air traffic control vectoring me around Houoston. I was cleared direct to San Marcos from New Orleans, but my flight path conflicted with landing traffic at IAH (Houston) and there was weather developing in the area so was re-routed several times. My GPS got a real workout. West of Houston I was once again cleared direct to San Marcos and it was smooth sailing from there.
For the record, the flight was 3:30 minutes at 8000 feet with a nice tailwind helping me average a groundspeed of 135 knots.
My night out in Austin was fantastic. Thanks to the front desk clerk at my hotel I discovered a great Mexican restaurant named "Polvos" which specializes in South Central Mexican cuisine. It's the first Mexican restaurant I've experienced where they offer Chile Rellenos prepared more than one way. (I had the original recipe.) They also had a self-service salsa bar that included jalapeno-pickled carrots. I haven't seen those since eating at Mi Pueblo on Euclid Avenue in Cleveland.
You can't visit Austin without visiting 6th Street, home to some of Austin's renowned nightspots. They humbly call it the "Live Music Capital of the World." You can walk along the street and hear an eclectic mix of Jazz, Rock'n'Roll, Hip-Hop, Country...you name it. If I hadn't planned an early morning departure enroute to Las Cruces I might have hung out there until they closed.

2 comments:

Carole Sullivan said...

Dick!
This is the most fantastic thing I have read about in a while!
Congrats on so many levels.
By God! Drink one of those Austin Margaritas for me!
I will be in touch when you complete your adventure.
All the best!
Always! :)
Carole (chandler) Sullivan

Hollie Strano said...

Hi Dick~

Wow-- I am so happy for you! How terrific!

What an experience. Look at you! Living a dream...so very cool.

Can't wait to read more over the coming days! ;o)

Talk to you soon,
Hugs,
Hollie