Monday, May 28, 2007

The Final Stop



My route back to Mt. Pleasant from the Carolina coast was through Charlotte, home to my younger daughter, Emily. She and her roommate share a townhouse right across the street from Southpark Mall, the shopping mecca of Charlotte. Her college degree from Appalachian State is in Music Industries. She's part of the mangement team for Sephora, the high-end cosmetic, fragrance and skincare company owned by Louis Vuitton. Emily was always the "let's get dressed up and play Barbies" daughter who was into make up and outfits. She's all grown up now, but it's hard for Dad to not think of her as the queen of the playroom fashion shows. I'm very proud of her and feel very fortunate to live as close as I do (90 miles).


Being in Charlotte also gave me an opportunity to catch up with a friend who worked for me at two different TV stations - WHBQ (Memphis) and WSOC (Charlotte). Phil Tribo and I hadn't seen each other for 16 years. He now has two daughters of his own and a career as a media producer for Bank of America. Like so many others, he put in more than his share of hours and years of his working life in TV news and decided there were other things that needed more of his time. But he reminds me of the hundreds of people I hired over the course of my career whose lives were shaped, in some part, by the experiences we had working together. It's all part of me, too.


No comments: