Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sideways in Sonoma

If you've seen the movie, you recognize the title. It was a perfect day to winery-hop and I did as much as I could stand. Below on the left is Rose and me. Rose works the tasting room at the Rochioli Winery. Above on the right is the Belvedere Tasting Room patio which was full of people who brought a picnic to enjoy with a bottle of Belvedere wine. Both are located along West Side Road in western Sonoma County. In all my previous trips here I have visited wineries on the


eastern side of the county, close to the Napa border. But today, I chose to go west into what the locals call the Pinot Trail. And I have to say it was well worth it. The trunk of my rental car is full of as much Pinot Noir as I think I can safely carry in N5296Z.
This was absolutely, without a doubt, one of the highlights of the trip thus far. I have been here to Sonoma County more times than I can count, but this time around ranks as one of the best visits ever. Great weather, great wine, and great people to meet. What could be better?
The trip here yesterday from the Bakersfield area was a gorgeous flight. Once in the Central Valley the winds died down and it was a smooth flight at 10,000 feet. ATC kept me well east of the Bay area in San Francisco/Oakland airspace, but I was still able to see the San Francisco skyline and the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance. I landed at the Charlie Schultz Airport in Santa Rosa. The nearest aviation intersection is called SNUPY!!

No comments: