Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Epilogue

There are lots of ways to measure the experience of my journey, in statistics, experiences and emotions, to mention a few. First, the stats: 6817 miles flown, averaging 325 per day; 66.7 actual flight hours, averaging 3.2 per day; 25 airports visited; longest distance traveled in one day - 940 miles (Rapid City, SD to Hamilton, OH).

Coolest places visited that I would want to see again: Austin, TX, northern Arizona, Martha's Vineyard, out-of-the-way places in California, and (of course) anywhere along the Carolina Coast.

I can't begin to tell you what this trip meant to me - on so many different levels. Having three weeks alone to reflect on what is important in my life is probably the most significant. There's lots more to say about that, but you'll have to read the book I intend to begin writing as soon as I find a publisher. The richness of this experience is unparalleled in my life. Besides making me a better and more confident pilot, it has made me a better and more confident person. As much as I like flying, it's the rest of my being that needed the most work.

God bless, and I hope to write more again some day.

No comments: