Monday, May 14, 2007

Flying High

To get from Sonoma to Reno on an instrument flight plan you have to fly at a minimum altitude of 13,000 feet to safely clear the Sierras. It takes a while to reach that altitude when your rate of climb drops to 250 feet per minute above 10,000 feet. But once you're there, it's a beautiful view. Reno lies in a valley. Below, I'm lining up for my approach to Rwy 16L at RNO.
I had considered making Reno just a fuel stop enroute to Salt Lake City. But after checking the weather I decided to spend the night here and let a cold front currently moving through the Sasquatch and upper Plains states get a little farther east. I need as few clouds as possible when the temperatures at 13,000 feet are minus 3-5 degrees Celsius. Flying through clouds at that kind of temperature is an invitation for icing to form on the airplane.



6 comments:

mcc said...

Wow, what a ride...what an incredible dream fulfilled. So enjoying the sights and 'sounds' along the way; looking forward to hearing more in person once you are back home.
From one Eagles fan to another...thanks "friend o mine" for sharing your journey!

Jay Bender said...

Dick,
Great work. I'm several days behind you. I plan to be in Albuquerque Thursday and Winslow Friday. How much wine will a Cessna hold?

NewsCam said...

Dick,

Funny how the world is full of odd connections. In 1977, I was the weekend anchor at WKYC and learned to fly out at Cuyahoga County Airport.

After getting my license, I rented a 172 for vacation. (Only VFR then... had to go where the weather was good.) Imagine how thrilled I was when the FBO told me they were giving me a brand new airplane for the trip... just got it on the line.

Now, imagine my surprise when I showed up at the airport only to discover the plane had just one radio and no transponder. There must have been a hundred "radar identification turns" on that trip, but what a thrill it was.

Have a great time and good flying on the rest of your adventure!

Cameron Harper

Monica said...

Hi Dick!
You are such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your adventure and we can't wait to see you when you land in Cleveland. Meanwhile, thanks for the ride!
Can't wait to see where you take us next!
Monica and Deke

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

Hi Dick....

Enjoying the travel tales....didn't realize you were a pilot. Congratulations on pursuing a dream..

jim newman